Thursday, April 30, 2009

It's FFF (Fabulous Fashion Friday)

You're only as old as you think you are!

Monday morning (of this week) I had the opportunity to teach a "Seniors" yoga class. (Note: I normally wouldn't volunteer to pick up a class of this type due to my EXTREME lack of experience but they were desperate for a sub and I happened to be there.) Working with seniors is always an interesting experience. One thing I know for sure is: They want what they want when they want it and they certainly don't have a problem telling you what they want and when they want it! Patience is a characteristic the elderly don't particularly posses. However, even though I was the crazy teacher who had no idea what she was doing and threw a huge loop in their normal routine, they taught me a lesson. The importance of attitude.

I know I've preached about attitude before but I have found that it never hurts to be reminded of the things we think we already know. This fine group of yoga participants may not have been able to stretch beyond their knee replacements but they certainly had the ability to laugh at themselves, SMILE and enjoy life. And even though they may be doing this in their not-so-fashionable polyester pants and purple hued hair, a positive outlook on life is far more fashionable than anything you or I could pick up at Nords! One participant was celebrating her 83 birthday-she made sure I knew;)-and her comment was, You're only as old as you think you are! She's absolutely right.
Take time to enjoy your weekend.
P.S. Have you made your Mom's day wish list yet?:D

2 comments:

  1. I heard a quote once, "Inside every 80 year old woman is a 18 year old woman wondering what the hell happened." I'm starting to get a taste of that. Every time I look at my 9 year old, I think "I'm not old enough to have a kid this big!" And then I pull out my drivers license and remember that yeah, I AM old enough, and not only that, I was SO not a teenager when he was born.

    On my mom's day list: new jeans. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray to that! I try to have that attitude now and certainly hope I have it in 50 years. Because it will be here before I know it!!

    ReplyDelete